Monday, August 2, 2010

Amish Trip

On Saturday, April 24th, we had an exciting trip to Lancaster County. This was the first time I had ever gone to the famous Amish County, so I had never seen Amish people before. It was an amazing experience for me. I had previously read about the Amish, but I did not believe that they were real. However, having now seen them, I know that they do,indeed,exist.




I really enjoyed our trip because it offered me the opportunity to see many new and different things from what we are used to in Queens. I saw that the Amish have a completely different way of life than most other Americans. Even though we were not part of their community, they were still very friendly toward us. I also learned that the Amish tend to work together with their families on their farms. They plant crops on their land, and they raise all sorts of farm animals. They also raise money by selling all sorts of interesting hand-crafted items as well as homemade foods.



Even though they live far from each other, Amish people help each other quite often. For example, when a new family needs to build a house, the entire town gets together and helps out. However, the most interesting thing about Amish houses is that they do not have electricity. In fact, the Amish do not use any new technology. They have their own small world with their own schoolhouse and their own people. I think Amish life is easier than the life we lead. They are more peaceful than we are.


 
I would like to thank the school for offering us such a well organized and exciting trip.

by Palwasha Niazmand

1 comment: